Photo. Kit Miller

Friday 31 August 2018

Rusty Mushrooms


These mushrooms were made from my stash of rusted and tea stained fabric. My original intention was to make samples for sketchbooks leading to some mixed media work. I am now making pieces of fabric with mushrooms in mind. The original samples, and more, can still be used in the sketchbooks, which I'm sure will benefit from all this experimentation (and fun).
They are made entirely from scraps and materials from charity shops and our local scrap store (sadly now closed). So far I have only used fabric which is over dyed with tea. I prefer the grey and black colours to the plain rust. I find that different brands of tea produce different shades. One of the makes that I used was far too pink, so I have settled on this one which will turn the rust black if the tea is very strong or the rusted fabric is left in soak for long enough.
Quite a few more will be needed if I am to sell them at local craft fairs this winter. I didn't have a theme in mind, but I think that these particular ones would be well suited to Halloween. It would be a good idea to try some other styles with Solstice and Christmas in mind.





No comments:

Post a Comment